Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 65: Em

As a senior in High School, I, Emily Ward am happy to announce...

Seniors RULE... but there are a few classes I will miss (not to mention people)

One such class is my Engineering class. My teacher Mr. Schmitke is awesome. I have taken one of his classes every year and have loved ALL of them. This year I am taking both Engineering and Architectural Drafting and Design. In Engineering we get the opportunity to design and build our own penny launchers (a.k.a catapult). For this project we are given limit supplies such as select pieces of wood, screw eyes, paper clips, dowel rods, pipe cleaner (my group used for decorations), and rubber bands. The task was to design a catapult on the technical drafting program AutoCad and then using the plans build, the catapult.

Our design was simple and small. We focused a lot on making sure the release was one handed, as required, and creating a stable base.


Well after all of our hard work (20 something days) we had our SHOOT OFF today.
The goal of the SHOOT OFF is to get the penny into the coffee mug 15 feet away. The mug is at the center of a giant bulls eye. Each group launches ten times and the closer that you get to the cup the higher your grade. May I just mention that the grade that our group had to beat was an 87% and we received a............... drum role please............................................99%
Our pennies hit the ten all but 1 time (where it was on the border of 9 and 10). I believe that we got the highest grade in the class. What makes it even more awesome is that we are the ONLY GIRLS in the class. (So we named our catapult LAS CHICAS!!)

My wonderful partner Kat and my buddy Vivian who came to witness the launch.
The next challenge is to see who can get the penny to fling the furthest. I think that we are going to win that too, because we had enough extra wood to make another arm for our catapult, but longer. It should be great!!!!

My other favorite class is Architectural Drafting and Design. In this class we use our previous knowledge (from Architecture 1, also one of Mr. Schmitke's classes), to design and build a model house. My Partners (Kat, same as partner above, and Karol), and I have spent the entire school year so far designing and building our house. We haven't decided on a name for it yet, but here are some pictures of it.


We also have to finish roofing and siding, as well as any other task Mr.Schmitke thinks of to give us. We also want to put people and homemade furnishings. We are also 3 of the 4 girls in this class. HEHE!


Until next time... SENIORS RULE!!! -EM

No comments: