Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lydia gets Tubes.


Very late last night as the rain turned to falling ice droplets I worried about the short drive to the surgery center. Sleep didn't come to me much because of the upcoming advents of the new day. Bill arrived home from work about 1:30am. (He's working a modified shift this week 12-12). At 4:30 we checked the internet to see if school would be in session it was closed due to the ice. That means good news for Bill no seminary. By 5:30 I was showered and dressed, nervous anxious and excited about the surgery.


My mind went back to the day we took Austin in at just under three years old for this same procedure and how much it changed his world from the muffled sounds of voices, to suddenly being able to hear everything too loudly. For a year or so he covered his ears to any slightly loud sound, but how his speech and responses improved. It made all the difference to me knowing he could now hear correctly his brain just had to make some adjustments.


Lydia's hearing is better than Austins was at 3 years old. The tubes will help her make sounds more clear. She has been hearing you like she always has water in her ears after a bath. We will see with a little more time if this will help with her speech problems. She has speech class every other day at school which has been helping, but with clear hearing she will probably correct her speech faster.

One of the highlights for me was that I got to go into the surgery room and hold her hand as the anesthesioligist administered the sleeping medication. I even got to give her a kiss before I left the room. Lydia was so brave and so relaxed. She did everything that was asked of her. I met her in the hall after her surgery. On the way to the recovery room she was wide awake and ready to get on with the day. Lucy the nurse gave her a bright red popsicle and I helped her get back into her tinkerbell pajamas for her ride home.


Lydia didn't like the idea that she would have to miss a day of school for the surgery, but I guess we can be glad that the weather cooperated so that she wouldn't even miss one day. She loves going to school, her teachers, her friends and learning new things. I'm so glad she didn't have to miss any of that even for something so important as ear surgery.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I am so glad she did so well. Two of our kids have had this as well and it's so scary when they go under!

But, all is well.