Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holding hands







Lydia radiates joy. I love walking with Lydia to the bus stop in the morning. She bundles up in her bright pink coat, her pink hat and mittens. Puts on her pink backpack. Gets out and puts on Roxie's leash and says mom lets go!!! She opens the door and Roxie all but pulls her on a dead run out the door. She turns back and yells mom can I hold your hand. She's up ahead because for a moment I stop and lock the door. She's looking back at me with one arm stretched out at me and Roxie's pulling her other arm in another direction. I catch up and she takes my hand. As I grab her hand I think I am grateful for this little hand that is willingly out stretched to me. I know it won't be long and she will want to walk to the bus stop alone. But for now I take it, she smiles a huge smile and we follow the dog to the bus stop. She gives me a big hug as the bus arrives and off she goes happy and content to leave her mom and puppy on the corner waving goodbye. I walk home with no little hand to hold, knowing that I and Roxie will walk to the bus stop at 3:30 and find that same little hand to hold. Praying that today will not be the day she wants to walk without her hand in mine.

1 comment:

Denise said...

it goes so fast, doesn't it? I am experiencing these same feelings with Katie...and trying to hold onto every moment.