Thursday, January 20, 2011

Five Great Dishwashers


Tonight Austin and Emily work together doing the dishes. They did it without the usual yelling match of who's turn is it to wash, dry,or clear the table. I'm not sure why they have decided to cooperate tonight and the other days this week, but I'm glad. Lately each has taken to making dish time more pleasant. Maybe it's the hope that someday we will get a dishwasher that will work. But for the last year and four months we have been doing the dishes by hand.


Each child takes their turn and over time each has gotten better at the task and they complain less. Some may ask why so long without a dishwasher. Well it started out as a way to save the money for our trip last summer now it's just other priorities have taken its place. On occasion Bill and I talk about it, but for now we will continue doing dishes by hand. We use it as bonding time or get away time. It's a time of communication positive or negative. If I want a few moments alone I know that if I say I will do the dishes everyone will disappear afraid I will change my mind. I'm grateful for the hands that do the dishes each night. I know someday they will really appreciate a dishwasher after their experience of being dishwashers.

No comments: