Thursday, January 13, 2011

After school activities











Willy enters the house red cheeked from the cold air. I give him a hug and ask how his day was. He always says terrible at first but then slowly I can get out of him that it was okay. He hasn't been one to enjoy school. Today he finds a co2 small canister on the way home so he can't wait to smash it and see what happens.

Our conversation waines, and as it does I hear the ding dong, ding dong, ding dong, oh the endless ding dong of the doorbell untill I appear. I know it is Austin for that is Austins personal call for attention. He comes in trumpet and backpack in hand, red cheeks and bursting to tell me all that has happened. I have just a little time to chat with the boys and hear the happenings of Austin's awesome day. He always has interesting fact about science, the weather, or about what is going to happen tomorrow at school. Austin is fascinated with school and loves his teachers. You can see it in his eyes.

The girls won't be home until later because Emily has Women in Technology at BAE, and Jessica has Key club. I need to get Lydia from the bus stop soon, but for now the boys get a snack, Pbj or whatever will satisfy the taste buds. I'm anxious to get them started on their homework so that it will be done before dinner. Now homework is a touchy subject Willy has not been one to see the need for it, however he has been better about completing assignments lately. Austin works hard on his, however if it is spelling it is an endurance challenge for me. Today both of them have a couple of subjects and it will be a painful experience for all including me.

But for now I encourage them to get started and I head out the door with Roxie to the bus stop to pick up my favorite 5 year old. As she rounds the corner of the bus doors she is on a dead run into my arms screaming MOM. She squeezes me tight and we walk in the cold chattering about the day careful not step in the dog poop on our neighbors sidewalk. When we enter the house the boys greet Lydia with a hug.

I mention the homework again and hope that they will get the message before I have to get angry to show them that I mean it. Slowly after a few Utube videos, tussles with Austin and a few not too kind words about how stupid school is Willy gets out his homework and joins Austin at the table. Lydia has ran to the bathroom and is know showing me her backpack. She explains that her new speech sound is G and we practice a little. She is so tired. She askes if we can finish later and she lays down on the couch. Soon she is asleep.

Jessica knocks on the door her friend Virginia Rose drives her home. We talk for a few minutes about key club, and selling candy bars. She stops and talks to Lydia and says hi to the boys. She looks for a snack and we talk a few minutes about life and school. She mentions that she looked up some information about SAT scores for BYU Idaho. Her scores are good enough to get in. We are waiting for acceptance letters from a few universities. I'm encouraged that she will get to go where she wants, but I don't want her to leave home, Yet I know it will happen soon. She opens her back pack and reviews what needs to be done and then she is off to her room.
The boys argue about something and the homework turns into a yelling match. I intervene and redirect them back to their homework. Sometimes I wonder if it is really worth it. I work for awhile with Austin on math. I help work out a compromise with Willy so that Austin can do his spelling on the computer. They argue more but when they get done with school work they do become friends again.

Emily comes bursting in the door she has made a web site at WIT and is very excited to share all about it. We talk about how the teacher explained it so fast and then expected them to just do it. But then he helped. Emily then gets a snack says Hi to the boys, asks about Lydia and then it's up to her room for homework.

I have managed to figure out dinner and get it in the oven. Boy does it smell good! It's even a new recipe I found. Yum Yum Yummy


Thats how our after school activities went last night!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey lauril that was very nice to read about your family. please continue to write.