Monday, April 11, 2011

That cost me an Arm and a Leg

As time passes tires and breaks get worn so last week we took the van to get new tires. We know it has been way too long. We still were riding on the tires that got us to Idaho and back. We have inspection coming up in June so we thought lets get this done before then because we always have to spend about a thousand dollars every time we go for an inspection. We thought be smart get tires have them put it on the scope and see what else will need to be done. Well one of the other things were new breaks and rotors.

Well Bill know how to do breaks I'm sure that wont be a big deal. So Monday he bought the breaks and proceeded to change the front breaks no problem because he has experience in this area. He does the first back break gets the wheel back on and we notice that there is fluid leaking. Oh well it's break fluid. Tomorrow he'll be able to fix it because it's pretty late. Tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes and no time to work on it.

On Wednesday he gets the opportunity notices that a little washer is sitting on the ground and proceeds to take off the wheel with the pneumatic wrench and one of the nuts won't come off So he then uses the hand wrench puts all his weight on it and the bolt breaks off. He proceeds to jack up the car takes off the wheel and finds the connection puts the washer where it goes and then puts everything back together puts the tire on, puts the break fluid where it goes has me pump the breaks and it still doesn't sound right or feel right. He also had to assure me many times that the wheel would stay on without one bolt. We take it for a spin and it doesn't stop fast enough.

So the car sits again all day Thursday and we decide we are going to take it back to the shop. So we take the Van back to get the breaks fixed the rotors changed and the bolt that broke off fixed. I just about died when I saw the bill cost me my best leg luckily it was pay day and we had cheap tires put on last week. Now the inspection coming up better not cost me another leg because then I won't have one to stand on.

I survived five days without the use of a car. I'm so glad I had gone shopping at Costco on Saturday and stocked up on everything. I had to tell a friend I couldn't take her to the doctor which I felt bad about. The kids had to find rides places but all in all I know that I can survive for just under a week with no car. However I don't want to do it again for a long time.

No comments: