Saturday, July 21, 2012

DAy ??? Youth conference day 3!!!

Day three!

Aloha, Hola, and Hello....

Its me again!

Day three was great!

The sign outside of the School!!
The night between day 2 and day 3 consisted of a giant storm, thank goodness it was while we were sleeping not performing.

We got our own sign!!!!
Before I get any further I thought I would give you some facts about the event:

The stakes at this event were from all over Northern Virginia: Ashburn, Woodbridge, Centreville (Our stake), Annandale, Fredricksburg, Mclean, and Mount Vernon. Some stakes (ours) had a 20-30 minute drive to the event while others had a 2 or more hour drive.

The event took place at a brand new high school, Patriot High School in our stake that is huge and beautiful!  There was plenty of room for everyone and a great facility to work in.

During each performance sister Cook read a letter from THE PROPHET, saying that he wished he could be there! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!  No question about that coolness!!

The following contains facts, but is part of the story too.

They day started off with rain, so we moved into the school for the opening devotional. It continued to drizzle and mist throughout the day, but cleared up for the performances (Mostly).  The temperature was probably in the 60s- 80 range. (that is really precise)

Rainy Morning
Brother Toma started off by reminding us to look for miracles each day as sister Cook had told us to the first day.  He told us of some amazing miracles that had occurred with and without us knowing:

The Fire Marshal did not approve of the stage that was built or many of the other plans that the stakes had so there had to be a lot of rearranging and the stage had to be completely rebuilt.  The stage builders worked right up to the first performance, and the stage looked amazing!
Back of stage. AWESOME!   plus even more stage components not pictured. 


We were also informed that minutes before the first performance permits came through that allowed the performance to happen.  It was a MIRACLE!!!


We were also amazed to find out that the storm parted and went around the school during our performance the first night.


All of the youth gathering in the morning 
After hearing from brother Toma we hear from Brother Gerard.  He talked to us about how the Prophet wants us to listen to him and his word will help us.  He also told us a story of a young man who was out of money so he robbed a bank, leading to a car chase through rural Idaho. When he was caught he pulled a gun on the officer and he ended up dead.  He pointed out how this young man made poor decisions and let them define who he was.  He told us to only let good moments define us and to Say No, Stand out/up, and Stand for what's right.  The still small voice will teach you and lead you to good defining moments.   It was wonderful!

We also had wonderful devotional from our stake leaders:

President Lowe: We all need to Arise Stand and Shine and will have many opportunities to do so.
President Dionne: Men and Women are different,  husbands are soul mates, not just friends, a woman's beauty is damaging like the sun at noon, but beautiful at sunset and the sunrise.  Smiling is the way to be beautiful, men's natural strength gives them many responsibilities.  Everyone should always:
Look up
Lift up
Rise up
Stand up
Bishop Goodfellow
and this one shouldn't be needed, but show up.
Bishop Goodfellow: To listen to the Spirit you have to listen with your heart, by paying attention to how something effects you and recognizing and remembering the spirit from every experience.

Later we had another devotional from Sister Cook
There were many great points that she made:
Exceedingly great Joy means that it is good.
The word of God reminds us of what to do.
Tell the devil not to bother our minds with unrighteousness.
Conversion is consistency to act on revelation.
And lastly to put down your weapons of rebellion to give way to faith, testimony and conversion.


After a spiritually uplifting portion of the day we prepared to preform. Our first performance of the day was at 5.  We got ready and sat in the stands, the mood for the performance, just did not seem to feel right.  I think that all I should really tell you is that the performance did not go too well. There were mistakes in a few places (it was still presentable, but disappointing), which left me very doubtful that I would be able to perform well in the final performance.  I was in a crappy mood, low on blood sugar, and disappointed in myself.  I told my friends to tell me jokes to cheer me up, but only my best friend Ibrahim Kargbo could cheer me up, and it was through beating me up. My buddy Regan helped too, with countless hugs!

It is probably sufficient to tell you that after eating and once I started performing again my mood greatly improved!

The final performance was to say the least, the best performance ever!  Willy and I did the swing perfectly, which rarely happened during practices, but went well in each performance.  I had originally had a different partner, but I am so glad that Willy was my partner instead, he was the most trusting person for the lifts, and the funnest person to practice with.  It was a blast dancing the swing with Willy Ward. He is my Favorite!

Oh here are the dances we did:

Our stake did a crazy swing dance with lifts and such.
The laurels and priests did a waltz to Moon River.
The teachers did a hip hop dance
and the Mia Maids did a hip hop dance as well!
Each stake had a different dance.
I also participated in a specialty dance, where I DIED as well as all the boys. (It was the opposition dance, representing the Lamanites and Nephites, I was a Lamanite.)
We also did a flash mob.
The opening dance was to the song 'Youth all Over the World'
and the closing dance/ song was to a specially made rendition of 'True to the Faith.'

In each performance the final number brought tears to my eyes. The standing ovation and beauty of the moment was overwhelming and touching.  I hope that the viewers felt the same spirit that we did.
Jessy says it did! so score!
The final performance was viewed by members of the Senate, governors, government officials, preachers, Nuns, and other religious leaders.  It was AMAZING!!!!!

The stands filling for the final performance, all but the 5 o'clock showing was practically sold out!!!
Just thought I would note, that I was performing, so thus i don't have pictures of the performance, but my Mommy does and I will either steal them from her and put them on my long lost blog, or she will post them.  
 This program was truly inspired. It provided a new sense of confidence, and indescribably improved my testimony! I am very glad that I had the opportunity to participate in this event and I wouldn't give it up for the world.  I recommend it to EVERYONE who ever has the opportunity to participate in it!  The Spirit was everywhere and so strong!!  The event ended with a testimony meeting on the following Sunday, that was also very spiritual.

We truly did ARISE STAND and SHINE!


I have been told I will receive a recording of the performance, which I will share.
Thanks for listening!

  -Em

No comments: